Pages

Monday, April 2, 2012

Just Between You, Me, and God 4/2/2012

I’m sure you’ve all heard that “denial is not just a river in Egypt.” To deny something is basically saying one thing, when deep down inside we believe or know something else. For instance, I know that I’m not bald. I’ve got just as much hair as I always have. It’s just repositioned itself on the side of my head instead of the top. Denial causes us to avoid things or put them off. That can be real serious when it starts to ruin your health, your marriage, or other relationships. The Apostle Peter had a very strong personality and often became the unelected spokesman for the other Disciples. He was very protective of Jesus and spoke of how he would lay down his life for Jesus. Jesus however, knows our hearts, our frail human nature, and He knew that as strong and as loyal as Peter thought he was, he would still deny knowing Christ if he felt endangered or cornered. Mark recalls the story in Mark 14:27-31, “You will all fall away,” Jesus told them, “for it is written: ‘I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep will be scattered.’”… Peter declared, “Even if all fall away, I will not.” I tell you the truth,” Jesus answered, “today – yes, tonight- before the rooster crows twice you yourself will disown me three times.” But Peter insisted emphatically, “Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you.” And all the others said the same.” Of course we know that Jesus’ prediction was true and at three different occasions Peter had the opportunity to stand up for Jesus and yet he denied knowing Him each time. How could he do that, how could he not admit that he was a follower of Jesus? Let’s ask some experts on the subject of denying Christ. Self, why do you deny Christ? Who me? I wouldn’t deny Christ, I would die for Him. Sound familiar, the river of denial is rising. When we know what Jesus has taught and commanded us to do, in the way we live our lives, in the way we treat others, in the way we are to worship and study His word, and we do the opposite or accept the way of the world instead, then we are denying Jesus. The laws of God have not changed and will not change. Marriage is to be between one man and one woman. Living together is not marriage. You shall not murder and that includes the taking of innocent lives through abortion. You cannot serve two Gods; you will love one and hate the other. Step out of your denial today and choose Jesus. Have a blessed Holy Week and a Happy Easter, Pastor Dean.

No comments:

Post a Comment