Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Just Between You, Me & God" 2/19/2012

“Jesus wept.” John 11:35. This is the shortest verse in the Bible and yet it conjures up a very real picture of our Savior. The occasion was just days after the death of his close friend Lazarus. The family and mourners were still grieving the loss of their Father and friend and questioning why Jesus had not come earlier in order to save his life. Jesus wept but not for the same reason as the others. He already knew what was going to happen with Lazarus, he was going to be raised from the dead. Jesus was not late, He never has been, nor will He ever be late. His timing is perfect. What He was going to do would glorify God and would help solidify His claim as the Messiah, the Son of God. The tears were more likely for those who were His closest followers and friends who still did not understand or fully believe His true identity. Jesus was a wanted man and He was there despite the fact that He could have been arrested at any moment. Once again, He was operating on His time, for He knew that it was not yet time for His arrest and trial. Through my life I have felt the very real presence of Jesus in my life and I have had those times when I felt as if I were all alone, not realizing that He had always been there, it was me who was distant, not Him. When I read this account in John 11, I often wonder, how many times has Jesus wept for me? The sin nature that I can’t control, the words I’ve said, the things I’ve done, His commandments that I have broken or just simply ignored. The weakness of my faith, my unbelief, my demanding request, and my bargaining prayers have all brought tears to the eyes of my Lord. I like to think that I’ve also caused a grin or two and possibly even a belly laugh from time to time. We are created in His image and therefore we share the same emotions. Luke 19: 41 tells of another occasion when Jesus wept as He approached Jerusalem. He was brought to tears because His own people, the Jews, had failed to recognize Him as their Messiah and would not have peace because of it. His sacrificial death on the cross for our sins is beyond our comprehension and yet we must embrace it or face an eternity of isolation from Him. As you think about the tears that Jesus has wept for you, why not bring Him joy and accept today the grace and forgiveness that is offered to a sinner like me who is really not worth crying for, but Jesus thought was worth dying for. God bless, Pastor Dean.

Pastor Dean Hanssen is the Outreach & Ministries Pastor for LHF

1 comment: