Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Just Between You, Me, & God 2/14/2012

Seems like I was just picking up the Christmas wrappings and it’s already Valentines. Good thing red is a common color for the two holidays, I don’t have to take down as many decorations that way. It is a day to express your love for someone special in your life. There are some very creative ways of expressing it also but be warned, guys who only shop three times a year are out in great numbers today. Believe it or not, close to 24 BILLION dozen roses will be delivered today followed by at least twice that many people saying “AWE”. There will be 1.1 BILLION boxes of chocolate given, that’s 58 million pounds of candy. Does that make my hips look big? Too late, I might as well enjoy it. Now don’t forget the cards. Worldwide there will be over 1 BILLION cards given and that doesn’t include the over 10 MILLION e-cards sent through the internet. The most special cards are those hand made by little hands connected to innocent and loving little hearts. Our refrigerator is covered with them. I have a Tee Shirt that says “If God had a refrigerator, your picture would be on it!” They estimate that 10% of Americans get engaged on Valentines and that over 1,000 couples get married on Valentines day. In simpler terms I guess you could say “There’s a whole lot of lovin’ goin’ on out there!” Some say that Valentines day dates back as far as the third century but I think it started earlier than that. The original Valentine was not heart shaped but, cross shaped. In John 15: 12-14 Jesus tell us, “My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command.” As much as I cherish the handmade Valentines on my refrigerator, I cherish even more the love expressed to me by my savior over 2,000 years ago on a cross shaped Valentine. John 3:16-17, “For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through Him.” Have a blessed Valentine’s day and take just a moment to send a Valentine to your Savior today. God bless you all for all you do for the Lord, Pastor Dean 

Pastor Dean Hanssen is the Outreach & Ministries Pastor for LHF

No comments:

Post a Comment