Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

One Mommy's Confession: Joy, Failure, and Forgiveness

This Sunday morning, during service, since there were few kids in class, we stayed in "big church" for Worship before going to our classroom for our lesson, which we sometimes do (we're a small church and can be flexible that way). As I stood with my daughter, who is five (for one more week), above the music, the Worship Team, the congregation, and my own hardly-tiny alto voice, I heard my daughter, clearly and distinctly, singing along to "Heart of Worship"...a song I didn't even realize she knew the words to. She sang it in her little slightly off-key childish soprano, and occasionally twirled on the spot with her hands up. 

Suddenly, I found myself moved on a level completely unconnected with the words to the song. I thought about this week, which had been chaotic and had held several disappointments and irritations for me. I thought of the rough mornings when I lost my temper getting ready for school, every time I raised my voice or said something unkind to my daughter (or to my spouse while she was present). I considered each time I reacted instead of acted out of love, and I was heartily ashamed. I found myself, though still singing the words to the song, crying out to God for forgiveness and thanking Him that despite it all, despite my failings and shortcomings as a parent and a person, that my daughter still knew God's Love and His Joy and still had a reason to sing about it, raise her hands, and dance.




I am so thankful that even when I fail, God has placed people like our church family and her school friends and teacher, and positive, Godly influence like our local radio station (KVNE Encouragement FM--which is probably where she learned the words to the song) around her, like backup warriors in the battleground, to guide her when I am a poor example. And I am thankful that like my daughter (who informed me this morning that I am "the best mommy in the world"), I have a God who forgives me every time I mess up.

Thank you, God, for giving me "the best daughter in the world."

Melissa McGinnis is the Children's Ministry Director for LHF.

No comments:

Post a Comment