Pages

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Just Between You, Me, & God 4/28/2012

My older brother’s name is Danny, or that’s what I always called him. Others knew him as Dan or Major Hanssen. Danny served in the U S Army for 20 years before he retired. I remember when he went into the Army, it was during the Viet Nam war and we just knew that he would have to go there but he qualified for OCS (officer candidate school) in Virginia, became an officer and did most of his duty in Germany and in the States. When he started boot camp at Ft. Bliss I was so proud of him. He would send us the simplest little items like a note pad with military symbols on it and I would show it off to everyone at school and brag that my brother in the army sent it to me. I would even wear some of his military fatigues and boots because I wanted to be like him. When he graduated from OCS the whole family drove to Virginia for his graduation. I never did serve in the military myself but I greatly admire those who have served with honor and sacrifice for our nation. Danny passed away 16 years ago from a brain tumor and was buried with full military honors in a military cemetery in San Antonio. It takes a special person to accept the call to serve, to leave behind family and friends and do what others take for granted and sometimes don’t even respect. As Christians we are also called to serve. Listen to how Jesus puts this in Matthew 20:26-28, “…Whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave---just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many.” Just like the military, there are those in the Church who have become the Christian Soldiers of today, serving as missionaries around the world, as pastors and leaders in local churches, and volunteers doing all of the things that others take for granted. Jesus did not tell us to “go and sit in your churches, listen to a sermon, then go home and go about your business.” In Matthew 28:19 Jesus speaks to all believers when He commanded the troops, “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.” The torch doesn’t carry itself. My deepest appreciation goes to those who serve us by serving our nation and my deepest prayer is that all Christians would take honor in serving Christ our Lord by serving others. God bless you for all you do and have a blessed Memorial Day, Pastor Dean

Pastor Dean Hanssen is the Outreach & ministries Pastor for LHF, and it is not his fault that this was posted late…the techies were enjoying grilled burgers and forgot! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment