Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

Review: Gospel of Yes by Mike Glenn


Publisher/Date: Waterbrook Multnomah, 2012


Too often in church we hear the word “no.” We are told what’s not okay, what we shouldn’t do, what’s not “right.” We are reminded of what we as Christians and the church oppose, but rarely is the word “yes” used regularly In The Gospel of Yes, Mike Glenn (pastor of Brentwood Baptist Church in the Nashville area of Tennessee) discusses why this is a shame and directly contradictory to the Gospel. He shares the stories of people who have accepted their “yes” from God (which is roughly defined, the gifts that God has for you, a culmination of your talents, your purpose, and the beauty you possess because of Christ).


There is not enough blogspace to fully explain how much I enjoyed this book. I found it eye-opening, humbling, and yet uplifting as I read. I realized that although I had accepted my “yes” from God, I all too frequently allow the world try to drown it out with many a “no.”


Beautifully illustrating basic truths such as our worth being in what God gave to save us, our glory in being made in His image, and why Jesus gave the Great Commandments of faith, Glenn explains how one simple word can carry such magnitude. The language is simple, easy to understand, and well-founded in Scripture.


While I believe that every Christian should read this book, leaders should especially because it reveals to us not only how to find our own “yes,” but how to help others find theirs, and encourage them in it. He speaks about the uniqueness of each believer and that in truth, one “yes” does NOT fit all. It is a great read all around and I encourage you to pick it up. 

I could go on and on about how fantastic this book is, but I don't want to give away too many spoilers; besides, there is little I could say to add or better interpret what has already been written within its pages.. Suffice it to say, if you don't read it, you're missing out. Mike Glenn is a gifted writer and this is truly a God-inspired, Scripture-centered work that will change the way you look at yourself, your life, your ministry, your heart, and God's heart.


(This video is a very rough cut. Please be patient with me.)

Melissa McGinnis is the Children's Ministry Director for LHF. This book was provided as part of Waterbrook Multnomah's Blogging for Books Program, though her opinions are all her own.

No comments:

Post a Comment