Pages

Monday, June 11, 2012

Just Between You, Me, & God 6/11/2012

June 10 1972, 40 years ago, a young (20 year old), thin, red headed kid popped another Tums in his mouth as he waited.  Lined up beside him were his older and younger brothers and a close friend.  It was almost 7:00 in the evening and the candles around the altar area flickered in the breeze of the air conditioner.  The preacher stood there in his robe waiting as was everyone seated in the church, then one by one, the matron of honor and the two brides maids slowly came down the aisle followed by the ring bearer.  My stomach was in knots as I waited for what seemed like hours before the bridal march began to play.  Everyone stood up and looked to the back of the church in anticipation and then she appeared from around the corner with her Dad by her side.  I gasped for air and could hardly make her out through my blurry eyes.  She took a step forward and I thought, the most beautiful girl in the world is fixing to marry me!  She took another step...what in the world would someone like her see in someone like me?  She took another step...what if I forget my lines or faint or what if the Tums don’t work?  She took another step...how am I going to support her, I’ve got to be in school Monday and I don’t even have a job?  She took another step...what if her Dad won’t let her go?  She took another step...what if she changes her mind and just turns around and walks away?  She took another step and stood beside me, everyone and everything just melted away and it was just me and her and the preacher.  The preacher started, “We have gathered here today in the presence of God and these witnesses…”  Oh My Gosh!  I forgot that God was going to be here too, no pressure now!  I couldn’t take my eyes off of her and within what just seemed like a few minutes I was kissing the girl of my dreams in church, in front of all of those people, and God.  Jeremiah 29:11 says, “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”  It took me a long time to realize that God’s prosperity is not monetary but spiritual.  He has blessed my bride and me through the good times and the tough times, He has given us supportive parents who set an example of 63 years of marriage each, two wonderful children and some beautiful grandchildren, but most of all, He has given us each other, to have and to hold, till death us do part.  Happy Anniversary Jeannie, I still can’t believe you said yes.  Pastor Dean 


Pastor Dean Hanssen is the Ministries & Outreach Pastor for LHF, and has set the bar very high for the rest of the husbands out there by writing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment