Pages

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Grooves

"If I ride the wings of the morning, if I dwell by the farthest oceans, even there you hand guide me, and your strength support me." Psalm 139:9-10 NLT

(The following cartoon is based upon the Footprints poem. If you've never read it, click here to read it first.)

Ever felt this way? I certainly have. When I struggle, feel afraid, or just plain don't want to do what I know God wants me to do (like, apologize when I'm wrong...that stung a little just to admit it actually happens), I feel almost like God's dragging me kicking and screaming. Of course, I know I'm just fighting my own fleshly inclinations, but still, pushing on in faith is a good thing. It's a pretty "groovy" thing (in the cool 70s sense).

There are grooves that aren't so great though. Like the daily groove. The distractions that keep us from prayer, from church and fellowship with like believers, the patterns we let ourselves fall into, the "grooves" that make life "easier," "predictable," and "comfortable." We so easily let ourselves fall into those grooves, and they slowly take us more away from God, one day at a time.

The "trick" is to make prayer, reading our Bible, worship, and fellowship our "groove," the thing that we train ourselves to do, and we will find ourselves in a very "groovy" (cue 70s meaning again) place--a relationship with God. No sandy feet necessary.

Melissa McGinnis is the Children's Ministry Director for LHF. She does not like the feeling of sand between her toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment